maanantai 23. marraskuuta 2009

unfinished published Nabokov


A Glorious Mess

Nabokov never wanted us to read his unfinished last novel. Unless, thrillingly, he did.
By Sam Anderson, nymag



I signed up for classes last week. 4 classes. Thinking of taking 5. There's this Russian Literature class I want to take that will give me credit for the 'regional' section of my International Studies major. The focus is on a single author: Nabokov. I really want to take it, even though it'll be a lot of work. (Evaluations: Study time/week: 6.72 hrs.) Actually I wouldn't do too well in lit classes. I only want to take it so I can read the books and discuss a bit. The writing papers part..will prove dreadful. I just really enjoy reading books. I would have liked to take AP Lit senior year in high school just to read the books, but not do any assignments or take the exam. I borrowed One Hundred Years of Solitude and Notes From the Underground from a friend who took AP Lit. Still haven't gotten around to finishing them. Hmm..I don't want to overstress myself next quarter with 5 real classes (right now I'm also taking 5 but in my mind's calculation, German doesn't really count). I'd have lots of reading to do. Hmm..aaaah..dunno.

I'm planning to study abroad next fall, 2010 in Germany. Went to a small info session today. Learned that their school year/semester system would make me miss 2 quarters. German fall semester: Oct to Feb. That means I'd miss 4 classes (quarter system). Erm..

But if I decide not to add Russian Lit: Nabokov later, I hope they'll still offer it in the future, with the focus on the same great author.



edit/add: I feel disillusioned. About a lot of things. Everything.
Maybe the feeling will pass. ie. "disillusioned youth".

Ei kommentteja: