tiistai 6. lokakuuta 2009

Strength, DEELAY CEELAY, and STARFUCKER @theLOFT

Went to my first show this quarter at the Loft. Great show.

Strength, from Portland, Oregon
They were good. I out-of-habitly felt a dislike toward them (opening bands), but then, yeah, they were pretty good. Fun. Prejudice gone.
Genre: nu-disco/indie-dance.
Next band: DEELAY CEELAY. also from Portland. myspace.
Excellent! ★★★★★
If you like: air (french duo), boards of canada, kyte, postal service, liquid drum'n'bass, trance, idm.
Two guys, both on the drums. The rest of the sounds they recorded beforehand, I believe. I was on the front right (yes good thing I brought my earplugs) next to this guy video-recording who happened to be one of the band members' brother. He told me "Deelay Ceelay" came from their names: Delanay, and Chris Lael. Sorry not so great pictures.

They had their own visuals playing, too. So win. One of the guys is a visual artist, the other a percussionist. Makes for a spell-binding show. They had strobe lights set-up under their drum sets, and then the psychedelic visuals. Watch video of a live show in Seattle.
Download their album (4 tracks) for free on their website or just click here.

Finally, Starfucker. Ok, looks like they're all from Portland.
Genre: indie-electro, synth-pop
I seriously didn't know that they were quite well-known (relatively/indie scene-wise). The Loft was pretty packed, definitely more than what I expected. I got their album "Jupiter" a few months ago, liked it, and so when I saw they were coming to the Loft, made a note on my calendar to go. Didn't look them up or anything. Well, they played a few songs that weren't on Jupiter and that a lot of kids knew, so I figured that wasn't their debut album. They played a good show. But it was a little annoying that they kept pausing to change monitor volumes, pick up a dropped drumstick, change mic volumes. Still alright. They ended with "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun".
Oh, and they're changing their name. You can e-mail them suggestions. There's a band from Belgium of the same name. Guy in crowd: "Planetfucker!" Maybe not..

2 kommenttia:

NomNomNom kirjoitti...

seems pretty cool.
is the last picture...is that girl(?) dressed like a guy, a guy?

dt8k kirjoitti...

lol, two of the guys wore dresses.