lauantai 26. joulukuuta 2009

shh: when you ask why they look so upset


Josie: Hey Ethan!

Ethan: [heavy sigh] Hey, Josie.

Josie: Why the long face?

Ethan: What are you talking about?

Josie: Your face. Just now, you look mad or sad or something.

Ethan: I was just thinking.

Josie: About something sad?

Ethan: What, is this an interrogation? Do I need to relate a sordid tale now? Christ, are you expecting something about how I didn’t get a puppy when I turned 8, and instead I got a fucking trumpet, and I was so mad I threw it on the carpet and I thought it would be fine because it’s carpet but the bell crumpled and everyone yelled at me and so I’m all fucked up now?

Josie: Sorry. Jesus. Just wondered if something’s wrong.

Ethan: Do you really want to have a conversation about this? Do you really fucking want to get into all the reasons we should be fucking terrified? Glenn Beck is on TV telling his 3 million bobble-headed viewers the Three-Fifths Compromise was a step toward abolition, voters are shooting down gay marriage left and right, the ice caps are melting, we’re spending more money in the Middle East in a day than I’ll see in my entire wasted existence and Sarah Palin’s book was a bestseller on Amazon before it fucking came out. We’re on the brink of a fucking apocalypse. Anyone who’s happy is either deluded, misinformed or just fucking stupid.

Josie: …so nothing’s up with you today?

Ethan: Me? I’m actually having a really good morning. This is just my default face.

Ei kommentteja: